Eligible charitable and religious organizations may raise funds through provincially or municipally licenced lottery events.

The Alcohol and Gaming Commission (AGCO) is responsible for administering the lottery licencing program in the province of Ontario. Municipalities are partners with the AGCO in issuing lottery licenses to eligible charitable and religious organizations.

Municipal Councils have the authority to issue licences for most lottery events conducted in their communities, including:

  • Bingo events with prize boards of up to $5,500
  • Raffles with prizes of up to $50,000
  • Break Open Ticket events that are not conducted in conjunction with another licenced gaming event, and where the tickets are sold within the municipality
  • 50/50 draws
  • Bazaar gaming events
  • Media Bingo

Frequently Asked Questions:

 Do I need a lottery licence?
You will need to apply for a lottery licence if you’re planning a charitable event that has one of the three elements of a lottery scheme:
  • A prize
  • A chance to win the prize
  • Consideration or a fee
Please note that there are many types of lottery schemes that do not qualify for a lottery licence. 
Am I eligible?
The following are the mandatory pre-requisites to be considered eligible for a lottery licence:
  • Organization must be a non-profit or registered charitable organization.
  • Organization must have been in existence for at least one year
  • Organization must have place of business in Ontario
  • Organization must prove how it benefits the community of Gillies and area as a whole
  • Organization must have one of the following primary purposes:
    • relief of poverty
    • advancement of education
    • advancement of religion
    • other charitable purposes beneficial to the community
  • Organization must be properly organized such that it is separate from any other organization (e.g., legally, financially, and organizationally)
  • Open and maintain a separate Lottery Trust bank account from your operating account
  • Organization must provide copy of its constitution or mandate and budget
Ineligible Organizations
  • Social clubs
  • Professional associations, unions, employee groups
  • Elected municipal representative groups including municipal, regional, provincial, and federal governments
  • Government agencies or bodies
  • Political lobby groups and those persuading the public to adopt a particular view on a broad social question
  • Political parties
  • Adult hobby groups
  • Private sports (e.g., golf/curling) clubs
  • Those promoting a political doctrine
  • Those attempting to bring about or oppose changes in the law or government policy
  • Professional or semi-professional athletics (e.g., CFL, NHL, AHL, OHL)
  • Adult recreational or adult oriented sports (e.g. Hockey Teams)
 The fees for a licence are based on the prize value.
  • Bingo – 1.5% of prize board, maximum per license $225 / maximum per year $450
  • Raffle - 1.5% of prize value, maximum of $450 per license
  • Break Open Tickets - 1.50% of prize value
  • Catch the Ace - 3% of prize value
Do I need permission to sell tickets in Gillies if I was licensed in a different Municipality?
To sell tickets in Gillies Township for a lottery licenced in another Municipality you must submit a letter of request to the Lottery Licencing Official with the following information: 
  • A letter from your organization requesting permission to sell raffle tickets in Gillies Township identifying the time period and the location of sales
  • A copy of your lottery license
 The request will be considered and a Municipal Letter for Permission will be provided. The approval process may take 3 weeks. 
What lottery games are prohibited?

Any lottery not specifically outlined as "permitted" by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario is prohibited.

Section 206 and 207 of the Criminal Code of Canada establish the regulatory framework within which games are permitted. Equally, the Criminal Code of Canada establishes prohibited lottery schemes and makes it an indictable offence to conduct a lottery scheme without an appropriate license. Examples of games that are not licensable and therefore prohibited may include (but are not limited to): 

  • Card tournaments (Euchre, Texas Hold'em, Blackjack, etc.)
  • Toonie Toss   
  • Dice games    
  • Raffles by donation    
  • Coin tables
  • Sports pools   
  • Lottery events involving betting         
  • Wheel games

Check with the Lottery Licencing Official to ensure the legality of an event.

Who is the Lottery License Official for Gillies Township?

The Municipal Clerk-Treasurer is the Lottery Licence Official for Gillies Township.

There are many different types of lotteries. Each lottery type has its different form, rules, terms and conditions. A full listing of all lottery licencing available can be found on the AGCO website. 

Common lottery licences are listed below: 


Raffles include a 50/50, raffle draw or blanket raffle. Raffle Licence forms and information.


Report Form

Break open tickets

Break Open tickets are often called Nevada tickets. Break Open Ticket forms and information.


Report Form

Catch the Ace

This is a newer form of progressive lottery. The winning ticket each week receives a portion of the prize. The remaining prize accumulates if the chosen envelope is any other card than the Ace of Spades. In order to win the Grand Prize, the weekly winner must also have successfully picked the envelope containing the Ace of Spades. Catch the Ace forms and information.


Report Form


A bazaar is a one day event and may include wheels of chance, bingos and raffles (including penny raffles). Bazaar forms and information. 


Report Form


Bingo forms and information 


Report Form